Regan's Books

Regan's Books
Reads From Regan Taylor

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Introducing the world of Rick Steeve!

I've met some pretty wonderful and interesting people on Facebook and among them is my friend Rick.  I recently took a little time to ask him more about himself and here's what I learned.

R. P. STEEVES has been writing in just about every format imaginable since he was a child. He’s written short stories, newspaper columns, stage plays and even a radio drama. Now he has written his first urban fantasy novel about an adventurous, sarcastic and mysterious woman known only as Misty Johnson, whose mission in life is to uncover the truth that hides in the supernatural underbelly of Washington DC.


Rich was born and raised in Connecticut, has a Master’s degree in education, and taught middle school for nine years. He enjoys solving puzzles, rollerblading, watching movies and has recently taken up archery. He looks forward to chronicling the further adventures of Misty Johnson and her band of supernatural misfits…



Centuries ago, Misty Johnson, Supernatural…er,…Dick, was cursed with near immortality when a black magic spell she and a friend were casting backfired…and the supernatural realm has regretted it ever since. A near millennium full of battling paranormal nasties, saving helpless victims, and trying to stay up with the latest cultural niceties, Misty has put her experiences to good use. With the help of her trusty partner, Dru Chance, the two take on the magical underbelly of Washington

D.C. as they investigate crimes that no one else can handle.

From shady Senators to sneaky shape shifters, from a ninja made of clay to a vampire afraid of his own shadow…Misty Johnson navigates the nation’s capital, all the while seeking to uncover the truth for her clients—and for herself.

An unnatural life span. A timeless mission. A woman like no other. Just don’t call her a detective!

PRAISE FOR MISTY JOHNSON, SUPERNATURAL DICK:

“Misty and Dru are the paranormal world’s answer to Holmes and Watson.” – Lori Devoti, author of AMAZON QUEEN and AMAZON INK.

"Misty Johnson enters the worthy ranks of psychic investigators and takes you on a page-turning tour of Washington DC's seedy Underworld-Underworld. I'll never feel completely safe in an unfamiliar comic book store again!" – John J. Miller, author of DEATH DRAWS FIVE (the Wild Cards series).

"Rich Steeves has arrived as a fresh new voice in fiction, and his creation, Misty Johnson is an instant classic. She is a welcome addition to the ranks of paranormal investigators - funny, tough and one-of-a-kind." – Liz Tigelaar, author of the Pretty Tough series and creator of The CW's Life Unexpected.

"Feisty and fierce, Misty Johnson is one savvy, supernatural detective that's always one step ahead of her clever, otherworldly prey. Steeves has created a fun new heroine that's a pleasure to follow in her investigative misadventures. Misty's a charmer!" – Tara Bennett, co-author of the LOST ENCLYCLOPEDIA.

“Attention all evil sorcerers, necromancers, vampires, zombies, and other supernatural nasties within the Washington, D.C. metro area…you better watch out! You’ve got a new nemesis in Misty Johnson…the private dick with a flare for the supernatural. R.P. Steeves pulls out all the stops in his debut novel and the genre of urban fantasy will never be the same!” – J. Kent Holloway, author of PRIMAL THIRST and SIRENS’ SONG.





You can find his books at http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/misty-johnson-supernatural-dick-in-capitol-hell-rp-steeves/1100144352?ean=9780982609941

1. How long have you been writing? What inspired you to pick the pen up one day and create characters that capture the imagination?

I wrote quite a bit when I was in high school and college, but then I got sidetracked by life. A few years ago, when someone asked me what I wanted to do with myself, I answered “I want to be a writer.” He replied, “Well, what are you writing?” I started to give him a litany of excuses: I was too busy, I had no ideas, it was a waste of time. He stopped me and said “I don’t know a lot about writing, but it occurs to me that if you want to write, you should write.” So I did. I started writing short stories and then eventually worked my way up to my first novel.

2. What genre would you like to try that you haven’t yet?

I have written realistic fiction, paranormal fiction, action/adventure, mystery, sci-fi and horror. I would really love to write historical fiction, something set in a classical period like ancient Greece or Rome.

3. Most people envision an author’s life as being really glamorous. What’s your take on this? Can you tell us something unglamorous you did within the last week or so?

I imagine there are SOME writers, SOMEWHERE who have pipes and slippers and brandy and sit on a veranda in Italy crafting fine works of literature on their classic typewriters. For me, though, I sit in my small apartment in my Jedi bathrobe, with my parrot sqwaking away as I eat ramen noodles and work on my stories…

4. Plotter or pantzer?

Depends on the project. For novels, I tend to plot in advance, using outlines and detailed notes. For short stories, I more often write by the seat of my pants and see where the muse takes me.

5. What do you do when you’re suffering writers block?

I don’t get writer’s block that often. I usually just keep writing, pushing through any doubts and getting something down on the page. Then I can go back and see if it was any good. Sometimes I jump to a different part of the story and try to connect the dots later.

6. If you could be a character in any of your books who would it be and why?

I would love to be like Teri Nighthorse, a character in Misty Johnson, Supernatural Dick in Capitol Hell. She is young, bright, talented, motivated and ambitious, with the whole world in front of her and all the tools she needs to do whatever she wants in life. She finds her way into a strange an exciting world of the paranormal, and gets to experience the wonder and danger of it firsthand.

7. Looking over the past year, what has been the best moment for you in your writing career

The best moment of my writing career was when an old friend from college, someone I hadn’t spoken to in a long time and someone who’s opinion I really respect, sent me a message saying how much she liked my book. It meant a lot to me that she would seek me out and tell me that, and I have been trying to help her work on her writing since then, too, which makes me proud.

8. What do you enjoy doing with your spare time, your non-writing time?

I love watching movies. I also have a podcast devoted to the show LOST (www.after-lost.com). I broadcast high school football games for a local radio station. I also love watching football, reading comics and playing video games.

9. If you could invite any famous person, dead or alive, for dinner, who would it be and what would you eat?

I would love to eat with Stan Lee, co-creator of so many of my favorite comic book characters and a fun, energetic man in his own right. I would serve what ever “The Man” wanted to eat!

10. What are you working on now? Can you tell us a little about it?

I am working on short stories for several anthologies from Open Casket Press. I am also working on short stories for classic pulp anthologies from Pro Se. The second Misty Johnson book, Misty Johnson, Supernatural Dick in The National Maul will come out in 2012, and I am working on an untitled sci-fi novel for next year as well.


So check out my friend and be ready for good surprises when you make a new friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment